word of the year 2023

So I have never tried this before, mostly because I was a bit cynical. But, I had been thinking about selecting a word of the year. Another blog I read pointed to Jen Fulwiler's word of the year and saint of the year generator. I promised myself 3 tries: the first (escape) and second (comfort) I didn't like for this year. The third, however, hit the nail on the head: elegant. 

I have thought about how being at home with my son, it is so easy to wear sweats and have a messy bun and be comfortable (second word) but how hard it can be to dress up and look pretty or elegant for an evening out, a work gathering, or Mass.  Last week, my husband and I went to a fancy steakhouse with his sisters and their husbands, his cousin and his wife and my mother in law. It's a family tradition and pretty delicious too. There was talk before we all prepared to go about next year making it really fancy and dressy. I mean, we all dress pretty well and look spiffy, but there was something I thought about - what would I have to do (buy, make, prepare) to look really nice? Really elegant?   I will have to think on that this year. 

So, there it is. How can I infuse elegant in my vocabulary, in to the books I read, into my clothes and into celebrations? That is my challenge!


And, so as not to be remiss: here is the Saint of the Year I found (same rules - up to 3 tries): 

St. Dymphna (patron saint of the mentally ill and therapists; I have her icon in my office)

St. John Vianney (patron of priests and confessors)

St. Henry II (patron of the childless, Benedictine Oblates, physically challenged people)

Comments

Popular Posts