Reading Plan for 2024


For 2024, I am currently working on my 5x5 challenge with Schole' Sisters, 

 a chapter a day plan for War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, 

the Grow Up book club with Schole' Sisters comprising 3 current books (1 finished already),

my in real life book club of Old Catholic Authors (we meet once a month),

and have contemplated joining the Book of Centuries challenge (concurrently) via the Literary Life Podcast, on a recommendation (though I actually have never listened to that podcast! Maybe it's worth a listen :) 

Ha! That is a lot of books and quite possibly more than I can manage. 

What I will likely do is prioritize Grow Up challenge, War and Peace and my in person book club (OCA). Then, I will use the print out of the BOC Challenge and mark things I have read in various time periods and see if there are any major gaps. Next I will look at my 5x5 (below) for this year and work on the areas that I am most excited about first to see what, if anything, I need to switch around.  

My end of year post on this will be an interesting comparison. 


5x5 ideas:

1: Medieval:: Ivanhoe or Arthurian tales; A Distant Mirror; Joan of Arc (Twain); Going to Church in Medieval England; Medieval Mind of CS Lewis; Kristin Lavransdattir

2: Teaching:: Karen Glass; Liberal Arts Tradition; The Flourishing Teacher or Learning Humility; Poetic Knowledge; CM 1 or 2; How to Read a Book; John Senior; Kenneth Clark bio

3: Mystery:: 39 Steps; Daughter of Time (could also be in 1); Poirot and Miss Marple; Vanished Days; Dorothy Sayers

4: Household:: Habits of the Household; Simplified Organization; Refuse to Choose; Wild Things-Raising Boys; Lazy Genius Way; Lazy Genius Kitchen; Lara Casey; Low Tech Kids; Rural Free

5: Art Craft Food:: Sashiko emb; Rembrandt in the Wind; Search for the Museum; Cook + Gardener; Cook's Atelier; Rural Free; GF Artisan Bread; Morville Year

6: OCA Book Club:: Last Crusader; Screwtape Letters; Quo Vadis; Lost Arts of Modern Civilization; Privilege of Being a Woman; Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy; etc.

7: Work:: Sexual Identity (Finley); Irreversible Damage; After Suicide; St. Dymphna's Playbook; Conrad Baars

8: Misc Fiction:: Trollope; Pym; Henty; Rules of Civility; Hannah Coulter; Laurus; Emily of New Moon; Hans Brinker

9: Grow Up (in progress):: Golden Key (finished); Art of War; A Failure of Nerve; Leadership book

10: War and Peace:: 1 Chapter a Day (possibly also listen to podcast at intervals)

Comments

Lisa said…
Good luck, Rosemary. I cannot plan for the whole reading year like so many seem to, at least as far as books go. But this year I am trying to plan areas to focus on, which may take me away from the Literary Life challenge - we will see!
Rosemary/sonrie said…
Lisa, It is possible I may make changes as the year goes on, or I will read a few extras too....

Popular Posts